National Traffic System
2020 Functional Exercise
August 15 – 17, 2020 UTC
All traffic handlers invited to participate
To help test the traffic system, I put together a functional exercise to inject test traffic and collect statistics on delivery times and success rates. I invite all traffic handlers to participate.
What is the Functional Exercise?
This functional exercise provides a way to measure system readiness and allows traffic handling stations to practice their skills in a simulated real-world scenario. This test will take place across the entire system over a dedicated time period, with specific information for stations, traffic nets, and key personnel such as Section Traffic Managers to follow to:
- Facilitate a realistic yet simulated scenario in a synchronized manner
- Coordinate data collection and reporting
- Develop an after-action report with recommendations on how to improve the traffic system
How can I participate?
- Review the exercise documentation, including the Incident Briefing, the Incident Action Plan, and reporting requirements and related documents
- Register so we can understand participation levels and geographical areas, and work to provide a list so traffic handlers can target their traffic during the exercise
- During the exercise window, send traffic following the format outlined in the Incident Action Plan to at least 3 other stations in the registration list
- When the exercise window concludes, wait about 1 week for all exercise-related traffic to move through the system, and then compile and send reports
Please use this template when compiling traffic for the exercise, and use real-world information. We do not want to inadvertently cause confusion, even when labeling our traffic as exercise-related.